[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 16 11:50:20 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

There are two basic functions performed on computers; that of consuming and
that of providing. User computers like tablet and Smartphones are designed
for consuming, user computers like desktops and laptops are designed for the
dual purpose of consuming and providing and computers like servers are
designed for providing.

There is not a computer that has internet capability or just has a browser,
that can not run WebPages and those pages are designed with JavaScript, HTML
and CSS. Whether the web page is the best choice in all cases can be debated
but that debate would have to be given on the bases of a one on one
situation.

As for providing for the consumer an endless variety of web languages,
databases and web servers available but this is backend support.

The market has shifted dramatically over the last several years and the true
desktop market has shrank...people who are just consumers have no need for
the capabilities of a desktop. Even new and existing desktops are now being
used mostly as browser platforms. If you support databases on even a single
server most of the management front-ends are browser based, from Oracle to
MySQL. Existing desktop applications are being migrated to a web based
interface like MS Office via SharePoint and now through Office365...

The question as to do we have an application that can be "written once and
run everywhere" and the answer is "yes".