[dba-Tech] OT: Another Linguistic Joke

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 12:45:05 CST 2013

The same joke's told in the UK substituting a Brummie (native of Birmingham
- the English one) for the Aussie. Not that the wretched Brummie accent (I'm
allowed to say that because I'm a Brummie myself) has much in common with
the Aussie one other than in making this joke work. I love this quote on the
Brummie accent on Wikipedia

"A study was conducted in 2008 where people were asked to grade the
intelligence of a person based on their accent and the Brummie accent was
ranked as the least intelligent accent. It even scored lower than being
silent, an example of the stereotype attached to the Brummie accent."

ROTFL. I love the fact that speaking Brummie rates as sounding less
intelligent than not speaking at all. I'd better try being quiet more often.
This would definitely be true of some of my family members (ssshhh, don't
tell them). Speaking Brummie was in the national news recently when the
Birmingham City Council introduced a voice-activated phone system for
members of the local public to get information or be put through to the
appropriate department. It was quickly taken down again because it couldn't
recognise what 95% of callers were saying. If you're wondering what it
sounds like (and you've never heard Ozzy Osbourne speak) this is pretty good
http://www.ibrummie.com/audio/audio1.html

Andy