[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 18 14:16:53 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

>From a developers point of view, I have never had any issues with Mozilla as
they have either made and/or adhered close to the industry standards. In
this business they are one of the good guys and I hope they keep doing what
they are doing.

Imagine a railway that has half a dozen variations of track widths. That
would be a disaster in the making. All our equipment communicates via
standards in protocols and that does not mean each company using those
protocols is part of a uniculture. Imagine what would happen in a family if
every member spoke a different language and refused to communicate in a
common agreed upon dialect.

Microsoft, with its browser has been the industry bad-boy. I suspect that
much their deviation from the industries standards stems from the time when
they were the computer uniculture and what was good for Microsoft was good
for the industry. I think the company has been a little bitter and has been
resistant to the new directions and has been muddying the browser market for
the last five years and now they are suffering appropriately.

OTOH, I do think or at least hope, that Microsoft can get over themselves
and that they have learned to be a good citizen like Mozilla and the calls
for MS to change their FE to Webkit will no longer be necessary.