[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Feb 18 14:42:34 CST 2013

> Wasn't that Microsoft, which pushed DHMTL/Javascript

and Netscape. Also, Microsoft pushed for vbscript and activex. ?

> Where Java-applets are now?
> How is Sun doing now?
> What company owns Java?

You can thank server-side scripting languages like PHP and, even more so, Flash/Shockwave. JavaScript wasn't taken seriously until Web 2.0 around the mid 2000's.

Also, Sun's collapse has nothing to do with java applets or Microsoft pushing dhtml/js. So, I'm not sure what you are implying with this comparison of java/sun and Microsoft?

> How is Java evolving comparing to C#? (Hint: rather well but was it Java or C#, which first introduced lamda-expressions, LINQ, dynamic languages' features etc.

Neither. Lambda expressions originated with Lisp a long time ago and several languages adopted it far before C# etc. Same goes for most if not all examples you can come up with. For instance, I was using LINQ like features in PHP before Microsoft put it in Visual Studio and branded it "LINQ". Ruby also had active record much before LINQ, etc etc.

> But why  cross-platform *unification* is so desirable there? I'm not questioning (communication/API) standards but I do not see how "cross platform technologies" could "save this world" without making it a "really boring flat unified plateau"?

Because we live in a post-Microsoft dominance era. If I'm developing a web application on a non-Windows platform, it becomes very difficult and tedious to have to test your web app in IE, so most web shops drop proper IE support and leave it as an after thought. Most web developers don't develop on windows, btw. It's more like 80% macs, 10% Linux and 10% windows.

To give you a direct example, my company had an executive meeting this morning and the topic of supporting IE was mentioned. The execs decided to drop support for IE for now and tell users that we only support FF and Chrome for now and maybe that will change in the future.

Same thing happened at my previous company. This is obviously puzzling to someone who only works in a Microsoft world with only Microsoft technologies, but it is a reality. IE is the third wheel, when it comes to web projects.

>  I do not see how "cross platform technologies" could "save this world" without making it a "really boring flat unified plateau"?

If Firefox and chrome can do it (and many others), there's no reason why the Trident engine being cross platform would make it a really boring flat unified plateau. This doesn't seem to be a strong argument, because there are plenty of examples that show the opposite. Besides, the web is about standards, not fancy new browser specific features every week.

> Did you try to use just "IE Web Browser Automation" without quotes and 'all these words' search option 'ON'?

If you Google "Netscape HTML CSS", you get 8.2 million results...

Best regards,
Hans-Christian Andersen