[dba-Tech] NOSQL goes SQL?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 26 22:49:15 CST 2013

Hi Peter:

I find database deployment always a very interesting subject. Do you find
clustered MySQL databases perform data manipulation at a reasonable speed
even retrievals from your data warehouse?

Facebook for a long time has been depended on a distributive system like you
are describing. Thousands MySQL DBs clusters hold all the data but inorder
to make all the data available in real-time it requires a NoSQL HBase which
monitors and is the controller that managed all the data retrieval and
deposits. Since then, because of performance requirements, more and more
data is being moved into the Cassandra database.

I can not say more I am not an expert in MySQL but I believe Hans is and he
can give some additional insights. I believe one of the large sites that he
manages uses a combination of MySQL and Cassandra.