[dba-Tech] 2.0 v. 2.1 PC speakers

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 07:10:49 CST 2013

I have Googled this topic and found some articles and reviews comparing the
two speaker types, but haven't found a definition that distinguishes them.
Reading between the lines, I sense that 2.1 has to do with boosted bass, to
maximize the effect of explosions in games. Is there a more precise
definition?

Since I play no video games and since my musical preferences tend toward
classical music, I'm more interested in accuracy and especially in
retention of the high-frequency harmonics typical of violins than in
boosted bass.

I've read good things about M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers, and they
are in my price range. Any comments? Suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks,
Arthur