[dba-Tech] PCs are here to stay

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Jan 16 06:43:58 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

<<<
No, hardly "kicking the can down the road" but we
now have to wait to see is all the predictions by the
"reported" experts and our observations comes true.

Yes.

<<<
What I find most exciting is it appears that no longer
is there an immediate threat that one of two companies
to completely rule the direction the computer industry.

Yes, I hope too.

<<<
Unfortunately, Microsoft's 95 percent control of the industry crushed out
much of new technology growth.

I have my own "long list of claims" to MS but I'd not say that MS that much influenced "stagnation/crushing of technology growth" in 90-ies and 00-ies - that "slow growth" was a usual "illness of growth" for the whole IT industry IMO.

<<<
It is a good time to be a programmer.

I hope too. Although the custom apps development competition is so fierce nowadays that I often doubt that programming profession is a good choice for making a decent living: if being alone - it would work, but keeping a (large) family's household - that could be a (very) heavy duty...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Вторник, 15 января 2013, 19:17 -08:00 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>No, hardly "kicking the can down the road" but we now have to wait to see is
>all the predictions by the "reported" experts and our observations comes
>true.
>
>What I find most exciting is it appears that no longer is there an immediate
>threat that one of two companies to completely rule the direction the
>computer industry. These breakups give opportunities for the creative
>geniuses out there. There are more start-ups that ever before and more
>successful one. More companies are popping up everywhere. There is more and
>different technologies being tested and used.
>
>Unfortunately, Microsoft's 95 percent control of the industry crushed out
>much of new technology growth. Now a days a tech can be anything they want
>to be whether it is Windows, Apple, Linux, desktop, tablet, Smartphone,
>cloud, SQL, NoSQL or any mixture of a thousand different flavours.
>
>The market, even though it has matured a lot, looks not unlike the industry
>in the eighties, full of energy and creativity. It is a good time to be a
>programmer.
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>