[dba-Tech] Ubuntu Phone

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sat Jan 19 13:40:35 CST 2013

As much as I wish Ubuntu all the best, I think they are making a huge mistake with the interface. The swiping toolbar and gesture based UI is extremely unnatural (no one but geeks will have the patience to adapt to it) and I don't know why, for the life of me, Canonical thinks the design of the toolbar looks acceptable for both the desktop OS and mobile OS. One thing in its favour is that apps will be built on native code, giving it a performance upper-hand over Android and Windows Phone. Another neat possible feature is the ability to dock it and connect it up to a keyboard and monitor and run a full desktop Ubuntu machine. Brilliant.

Here's an interesting analysis of the Ubuntu Phone:
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/29746/ubuntu-phone-doa-las-s25e02/

They made a good point that a gesture based UI is a lot like keyboard shortcuts on a computer desktop.
You can skip ahead in the video to that part by going to around the 50 minute and 45 seconds mark.

- Hans