[dba-Tech] Cool marketing: Nokia Releases 3D Print Files For Lumia 820 Smartphone. Got A 3D Printer? Custom Print Your Own Removable Shell

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 19 22:22:11 CST 2013

Ha ha ha.

Wow that Kitchen is incredible. Do you have any idea how long the 3D
printing would take? My friend produced a set of two helical cut gears in
plastic, for his electric car and it took his printer over 3 hours to run.

1. The program that my friend uses to design his CAD objects is called
OpenSCAD at http://www.openscad.org/ and again you have to follow terminal
instructions to install it on your Ubuntu computer. After designing graphic
and it looks good on the screen you can save the object as a STL file.

2. To translate the CAD STL file to CNC (Computer Numeric Control) code,
which is standard for all robotic or automated machinery programming, you
have to install and use a program called Pronterface at
https://github.com/kliment/Printrun . You just download the ZIP file from
GitHub and if my memory serves me well, on you Ubuntu Linux box, it will
self-extract and install. (If this is not the case there are instructions
within the zip file which will explain everything) The resulting file is
G-Code which is then printed to your printers USB...something like 2500
baud...and so on...there are text files explaining it all. The resultant
control file is written in simple text so it can be edited directly so you
can change the temperature (top line is text file) of the extruding
plastic...different types need different temperatures. (Interesting, enough
the Pronterface is written in Python. It is amazing where it is being used.)

There are some other things to consider but it is most what is needed. If
you decide to go that route I can give you my friend's email and you guys
can go from there.