[dba-Tech] Ubuntu thin client

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jan 20 16:25:44 CST 2013

Hi Hans

He he - didn't catch that - learning Shamil about familiarity with the command line. Nice joke!

/gustav

>>> mcp2004 at mail.ru 20-01-13 22:22 >>>
 Hi Hans --

I worked with command line OSes for 10+ years, I have even used typewriter to control Soviet clones of IBM 360/370.
That was funny. Magnetic tapes and drums, JCL and punchcards etc.
Then PIP (Peripheral Interchange Program) was one of my main tools to communicate with RSX11-M/PDP-11 as well as command line debugger *or magnetic tape backup program (BRV?). As RSX11-M used Radix50 to keep chars as compact as possible within two bytes' words (6 chars) all the commands and arguments were rather cryptic - that is technology were C/Unix/Linux origin from: PDP-11 (and I even used to work with PDP-8 and punch tape to load programs into PDP-8).*
I mean I'm not afraid of command line at all but only when it's really needed.

I'm rarely using command line nowadays - nevertheless I'm doing quite advanced software development.

-- Shamil

Суббота, 19 января 2013, 18:35 -08:00 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:<~!B*+R^&>>Yeah, you can use synaptic as well, but its probably better you get familiar with the command line sooner rather than later - especially if you are doing software development. :)