[dba-Tech] Client Java is dead

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 23 01:25:18 CST 2013

I do think the whole issue is a little over done but why did government
officials singled out and targeted Java specifically, as you said, look no
further than Microsoft and IE when the word vulnerable is being mentioned.

Everyone would have carried on blissful unaware of the incredible dangers of
posed by Java.

Here is my theory and I will paraphrase from various article read and news
stories published.

According to some information distributed from the government, it believes
that we are on the tip of very large foreign government sponsored cyber
attacks. Mind you, we started it here and amazingly enough the government is
discovering that techs in other countries are not stupid and can retaliate
with equal force...and have. Maybe it believes that everyone using Java on
the desktop is vulnerable and computers using Java may just end up being
pawns in subsequent waves of internal attacks. So the government is trying
to preemptively eliminate internal weaknesses.

Whether such an idea is ridiculous is one thing but I would not put it past
some senior government official for believing it...as they just don't get
out often enough.