[dba-Tech] Windows 8

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Jan 24 14:39:12 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

I have installed Win8 Prof. on a new PC - I haven't run an upgrade.
But as Jason notices in his quoted here posting Win8 is a very stable system and it seems to be quicker than Win7 to run, to boot (8-10 seconds here from SSD) and especially to get "awakened" from "sleep" mode - the latter takes here about 2-3 seconds. And Win8 Prof. is also Hyper-V enabled but one have to have rather modern motherboard to get Hyper-V up & running.

As I have written in one of the threads here I have ASUS N76 i7 notebook with 12GB RAM and I usually have 5-6 Visual Studio 2012 instances open, MS SQL 2012 Dev, Edition, MS Office 2012 - MS Access - two-three instances, MS Word, MS Excel, a few VMs (Win8 and Win 7 and even Ubuntu) running under Hyper-V, a couple of dozens of Google Chrome windows, some IE windows and quite some other stuff running...

-- Shamil

Четверг, 24 января 2013, 15:19 -05:00 от Jason Strickland <jason at purplecone.com>:
>I upgraded 2 Windows 7 PCs to Windows 8. I did not experience any problems.
>I did run the upgrade assistant tool prior to installing. The tool informed
>me of the software that would and might work. So far, everything that I
>left installed works.
>
>It took me awhile to get use to the OS but it seems very stable and faster
>than Windows 7 at booting.
>

>On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Jim Lawrence < accessd at shaw.ca > wrote:
>
>> Windows 8 to buy or not.

<<< skipped >>>