[dba-Tech] A $99.00 supercomputer

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 25 19:48:08 CST 2013

On the other end of the spectrum from " ...Out of interest, I just ran
ProcExp on my laptop.  I found that the Synaptecs Touchpad Extensions was
using 1.3GB of RAM :-(... " there is:

For those who loved the Raspberry PI and are feeling like spending a bit of
mad money here is the next installment.

A $99.00 Linux supercomputer...yes, full parallel processing on your work
bench.

" ... The Parallella Computer

In October 2012 a Kickstarter campaign was successful in raising $898,921 to
develop and produce  an initial run of the Parallella computer, a system
equipped with a dual-core ARM A9 processor and either a 16 or 64-core
Adapteva Epiphany floating-point accelerator. The project had just short of
5,000 backers and pledges of $99 or more being rewarded with at least one
board with a 16-core device... "

If any of us had been on the ball we could have been anticipating the first
run of these computers.

https://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/systems-management/692990-introducing-
the-99-linux-supercomputer

Just as the Raspberry PI can put a dent in desktop computing, the Parallella
can put a dent in server computing. :-)