[dba-Tech] Pygmalion

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Jan 26 10:11:49 CST 2013

We went to see a staging of Shaw's Pygmalion last night - its the centennial
of the play.  Shaw's always entertaining.  Higgins was played by Robert Sean
Leonard - better known as Wilson in House.  But it was a bit distracting to
watch as the dialog led into so many great songs from the musical and Rex
Harrison is for me the definitive Higgins.

So we came home and you tubed some of the tunes, then more of them.  I'd
forgotten how many great tunes there were in that show.  Look at this list:

http://musicals.net/cgi-bin/songlist?sn=57
<http://musicals.net/cgi-bin/songlist?sn=57&show=My+Fair+Lady>
&show=My+Fair+Lady

When I was a kid we had the 33 rpm album and my sister loved it.  So I got
to hear it a lot.  Along with a lot of other musicals - she was big on that.
I didn't care much for them at the time, but they stuck in my head like
music will and now I love the songs - South Pacific, West Side Story,
Carousel, Oklahoma, Paint Your Wagon.  That's uniquely American music.

I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face has become a pretty popular jazz standard
- we play it in the trio.  Wish I could sing it.

Coincidentally, we went to another play a couple of weeks ago - invited to a
dress rehearsal at the North Coast Rep - with the same theme: Educating
Rita.  It was a movie a few years back.  Professor transforms a working
class woman into an intellectual and she eventually moves off without him.
The Pygmalion story but without Pygmalion's moral question

That's my a.m. ramble.