[dba-Tech] database

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 26 14:40:39 CST 2013

Hi Arthur:

That question will be asked again after any potential government audit is
completed and related issues resolved. The government does demand seven
years of data but given that the company has new owners, five years of
working data is all that is required.

If things do not go well after the audit, the government may want to look
back in the older data more for establishing a trend of differences between
the real accounts and posted accounts than specifics.

I hadn't thought of moving the archive to a different server but that is a
good idea. This database is primitive compared to the modern systems and
even though this functionality does exist (or exists now), it has all been
hand-coded.

In the near future, I would like to move the whole POS to the web...almost
have the owners convinced but will have to provide proof of concept,
guarantee absolute security and acceptable performance (perhaps the most
difficult as a POS must be blazingly fast or instantaneous).

Your comment of moving the old data to a static database is definitely a
good idea.

Aside: The new system will be all browser based; lots of JSON files,
JavaScript and then touch screens capability(?). That is why I am trying to
get up to speed in InginX and Node.js and get away from OS and Server
(Cloud?) dependency...and then there is the BE database but that is a big
question mark. To be able to re-market a product is the long-term vision.