[dba-Tech] database

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 27 13:51:56 CST 2013

Hi Stuart:

That is impressive. Too bad I never had a chance to try it out.

Those were the "Gold Rush" days of computers. The database and systems
market was growing like crazy then. Anyone smart and willing to work hard
could turn a really good buck...obviously you did.

CPM, huh...first DOS, but was multi-user capabilities. If Microsoft had not
been so struck on being different all their slashes could have been the
right way, their system would have been multi-user and network ready. Worked
with CPM, on government managers' Kypros (the precursor of the laptop...it
was as heavy and big as a PC but came with a suit-case handle so it was
portable). If you know CPM well, then UNIX and now Linux would seem like
home.

One of my contracts was working on an ancient accounting system for the
government from 1992 to 2000. The database was called DC/2. (Interesting
aside: the database was originally commissioned and then sold by a mortuary
company out of Chicago...a good location for that type business...very high
volumes.) Its language was like a macro assembler code; OP code, Operand and
value. Returns and loops were just offsets pushed into the local stack,
followed but a return OP code. No real-time keys or indexes, those tasks
were over-night batch files. The system had thousands of users and was the
back-bone of two of the largest government ministries. We were on call 24x7.
The system was originally on an IBM Mainframe, using a version of CPM, then
it was migrated to a VAX, using VMS (the first modern virtual UNIX), then it
migrated to DataPoint on UNIX servers and finally to Linux servers. I
understand that it has now been abandoned (R.I.P) and replaced by an Oracle
DB with their PL/SQL language and their GUI FE but of course it is running
on Linux.

Things sure move fast in the computer world.