[dba-Tech] For web developers

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 28 23:32:33 CST 2013

Hi John:

We concur.

As for you issues with various version of browsers some of the easiest
methods to find solutions is use the annoying browser in question and when
you get to a site where the Favicon works, rip the code and check the icon
size and format and emulate it on your site.

Note 1: You can use the <!--[if IE]> type logic to resolve some of issue by
separating IE from the herd. Sometimes it might be necessary to actually
create a second web site dedicated to IE as there can be so many issues.

Note 2: if you want to parse code on web pages precede you IE solution with
a asterisk "*" and as all the other browsers will ignore anything after the
* and IE wouldn't so it is one of those cheap hacks.

Note 3: Extensive use of JQuery can resolve many of the IE code standard
deviation errors as that was the main reason JQuery was created in the first
place. You can also use http://html5boilerplate.com/ to rough out a web page
as many of the conflict issues are resolved and feature pre-added in the
page template. (I have not used it myself but it has a very good
reputation.)

As so many of my geeky younger friends, older friends, sons and daughters
use Apple computers I feel I must support it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531