[dba-Tech] It is time to dump MySQL - NOT

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 12 13:59:00 CDT 2013

On 2013-07-12 12:57 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Stuart and Peter:
>
> I never concern myself with the appearance a product website.

Give your interlocutors a wee bit of credit, Jim. It's not about the
appearance of the website. It's not even about the fractured English.
It's about the /content/---eg they don't yet have production-level
compatibility with MySQL 5.6, a manual, or user fora.

> Being in the
> OSS world I am quite use to seeing some of the worse websites ever built.
> Many of these programmers have no concept of design and composition. I have
> designed sites for many friends who previously had pages that harken back to
> 1995...but OTOH that does not imply the quality of products.
>
> Stuart, if you look at your Basic application developers product source (the
> name escapes me), assuming nothing has changed in their website's
> appearance; true 2000 retro, most potential customers, drift by, forgetting
> the product and even its name. The product developers may spend thousands on
> development and it would only take a few hundred to bring their site up to
> post 2010. ...And it would definitely increase their sales...but they appear
> blissfully unaware of this fact, but maybe they are trying to make some sort
> of statement.
>
> When MariaDB is compared to MySQL its performance is better:
>
> http://blog.mariadb.org/sysbench-oltp-mysql-5-6-vs-mariadb-10-0/

MariaDB's results favour MariaDB, for the most part marginally. Oracle's
results for MySQL look different .Until we see independent 3P
replication of such results, take them with a grain of salt.

Note too MariaDB 10 is alpha, and has yet to incorporate some MySQL 5.6
features.

> Traditionally, OSS products prove to be better, in the long run.

Perhaps but the exceptions are interesting and large, eg spreadsheets,
word processing, presentation software.

> (Linux
> servers vs Microsoft servers) With the potential of thousands of developers,
> products have a quick debugging and features cycle. Check out the
> comparisons between OpenOffice, purchased by Oracle and the fork
> LibraOffice. LibraOffice is pulling away in features, performance and
> adoption.
>
> On a personal note, I have worked with Oracle for many years and even though
> their database is massively over-priced, their products tend to be very
> good. Oracles' purchase of their chief competitor, MySQL was a huge coup.
> The dynamics of Oracle and MySQL are polar opposites and Oracle is now
> making MySQL just another mini-me. For myself, I find it sad to see the once
> most used and loved database being converted and bleed of every possible
> drop of blood...and if MySQL future profits, somehow do not live up to
> expectations it will be unceremoniously dumped.
>
> The truth is that not everyone will abandon MySQL...there will always be
> dedicated supporters but all the leading edge, new age and startup companies
> are dropping it and/or are slowly phasing out the product.

For me this has nothing to do with loyalty, everything to do with what a
user can gain from each product.

PB

-----