[dba-Tech] The computer market trends.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 11 11:09:08 CDT 2013

Hi all:

Many years ago, the mainframe was the center of everything and everyone just
connected to it via a dumb terminal. Everything was done and controlled from
the main server.

Then entered the world of the PC. The personal computer allowed their users
a real autonomy, to build an environment, to a user's exact specifications.
The user would be able to pick and choose what software they wanted or
needed for work and then they could do what ever they wanted. This gave a
user almost complete personal freedom.

But that has been changing in the last few years. The browser interface, the
Cloud, off-line storage, subscription software and always having to be
tethered to a corporation via the internet to be able to work or even have
your computer work.

It is all wonderful technology but I for one do not want to be just the user
of a dumb terminal. I thought that whole world was over...who would have
thought that the personal computer was just a passing trend.