[dba-Tech] The ZFS FS

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 2 09:55:02 CST 2013

Hi Gustav:

" ...somewhere in the process you will sit back and wonder if you have
chosen the right business... " and that is unusual in this business because?
If I had a hundred dollars for every time I walked into a business and said
to myself, "What am I doing here!", I would be very wealthy. Before I
retired (semi-retired), my upline contractor would always be putting me on
sites with no docs of any kind as I was expected to just wing it...once you
have apparently "walked on water" it becomes an expectation.

To my understanding, until recently ZFS was only compatible with one other
system than OpenSolaris and that was OpenBSD...with some recent updates in
the Linux kernel it is now compatible with all Linux distros. Also according
to what I read/heard it works fine with a Samba server (which has its own
Actively Directory and/or supports Windows AD but this of course is a recent
offering now that Microsoft and Linux are working together) and now is fully
compatible with both Linux/UNIX and Windows. There is a lot of versions of
the ZFS product...isn't the latest version 25 or 26? ...over-night builds
seem become the latest release. ;-)

Aside: In a few years Microsoft, like Oracle now is, will be moving
seriously into the Linux OSS world or they would not be spending so much
money supporting products like Mono, Samba, Cassadra, Hadoop, even Linux
kernel development...and many more.

That is one of the main problems with a lot of these OS products; lack of
documentation. That is where an active online community around any
application is so necessary.

I am always apprehensive of bleeding edge products but it does sound like
you finally obtained a very good solution. The only reason to try ZFS would
be because of the incredible features it affords...once running that is.