[dba-Tech] What if Microsoft...

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Tue Mar 12 14:37:25 CDT 2013

My practice stems from my experience when Windows XP was new.  I bought
a new laptop computer just before WinXP was launched.  It came with an
upgrade certificate to be redeemed when WinXP became available.  So,
pretty much as soon as WinXP was out, I redeemed my upgrade
certificate.  That was an amazing adventure!  I got the upgrade done and
was pretty pleased with the new OS at first.  Started using it right
away - was working with a client to remodel a database.  In that
client's office, WinXP died, leaving me with what they call a "white
screen."  It was clearly powered and illuminated, not black, but also
not functioning at all.

I spent several hours on the phone with tech support at Dell to get the
necessary updates to the video controller and the computer BIOS - all of
which had to be done in a particular sequence. Finally got it done after
basically one full work week of hardware and software analysis and
careful installation.  It wasn't long before SP1 was issued - then SP2 -
then SP3 with warnings.  Oh, please!  After all was said and done, WinXP
became a beautifully stable and useful OS.  Just about then, Vista was
launched.  Now Win7 is stable, Vista is disgraced, XP is still stable
and grand but no longer supported by Microsoft.  I'm working with one
Win7 computer and three WinXP computers in my office right now.

I've had a peek at Win8 and so far, I am not a fan.

On campus, our IT department does not roll out the next version of
Windows or the Office Suite until about 18 months have gone by, the
software has had sufficient updates to actually be stable and most of
the bugs worked out.  Why?  Well, because we need to be able to depend
on our computers, that's why.  Having our printers suddenly not
functional because of a new version of the OS or some incompatibility
introduced by the Office Suite, just isn't acceptable.  I take that same
attitude in my home office.  Dang! I can't afford to suddenly be out of
commission because of an unanticipated bug in a new version of
software.  So, I do actually have concerns about the OS stability, as
well as the other applications that are suddenly broken by the new OS.

<rant mode on>
Is Microsoft capable of putting out a stable product?  Oh, most
certainly!  But, in their rush to market, they seem to me not to do so.
They wait for the beta-testing feedback from their more adventurous or
"gotta be first" customers, then produce the needed service packs to fix
the problems.  What's a completely stable OS with no bugs called?  Obsolete!
</rant mode off>

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com
231-322-2787