[dba-Tech] Installing a new OS

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 15 23:08:05 CDT 2013

It seems that a partician has come free.

It originally held an older version of Linux but after doing some nasties on
the directory structure, backing up Windows data over part of it, for no
apparent reason the system wants to do multiple rebuilds which would waste a
good hour so why not do something more constructive?

As the current Linux version is really old, it is time a nice new refresh OS
and I have been debating which way to go.

The computer only has a couple of GB or RAM, 32bit and only a has dual core
so it is hardly a candidate for another version of Windows. That only leaves
Linux.

The real choices, I see, are as follows:

1. Ubuntu 12.04 Linux (solid as a rock and brain dead simple)
2. Mint 14 Linux (a little more adventuresome)
3. OpenSUSE 12.3 Linux (the latest and greatest, right off the showroom
floor)

A recent review from Register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/15/suse_linux_12_3_review/

So which way should I go? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.