[dba-Tech] MySQL Syntax: Fresh eyes needed

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 20:26:43 CDT 2013

Hans,

I guess so, But this was part of an exercise I'm doing that involved
converting an Access sample app to MySQL. This was the only stumbling
block. The entire rest of the conversion, including creation of the MySQL
database and population of its tables, took less than five minutes. Now
that I have a recipe in hand, I'm pretty confident that I can do the same
with almost any Access app.

Which is not to say the conversion is complete, of course. There wouldn't
be a lot of point in the conversion unless the intention was to move the
queries into the database as well, in the form of SPs invoked by Pass-Thru
Queries.

In the course of this exercise, which happened to dovetail with the
requirements of a "mentoring" gig I recently landed, I have learned quite a
bit about PTQs, and also written a cool utility that makes child's play of
dealing with parameters for a PTQ.

The performance is better by a factor of 10 or so. With a small dataset,
it's hard to notice, but with a large dataset it's so obvious you don't
need to benchmark it. It drops from ~5 seconds to sub-second times.

Anyway, turns out this syntax-sidetrack was worth it, since it led to me
examining how to handle all the data types that can be passed as parameters
to a stored procedure via a PTQ. Now I know -- how to handle dates, nulls,
IIF() Access expressions, etc.

A.