[dba-Tech] Xbox

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed Mar 20 13:19:14 CDT 2013

Hi Gustav,

DNLA is just a file sharing protocol specifically for media (movies, music and pictures). If your device supports DNLA, it scans your network for DNLA servers and auto-discovers them (no configuration required). The DNLA server then provides the client device with a whole library of media that it has cataloged and let's the device determine what it wants to do with it (ie. streaming the movies and music and do slideshows for pictures).

I believe windows media player can be a DNLA server as well, but the reason i suggest the "PS3 media server" application is that it can also transcode your videos on the fly in case your Xbox doesn't support that specific media format. It started as a project specifically for the PS3 (playstation 3), but it is now more generic and supports any DNLA compliant client. They just didn't change the name to reflect that :)

You would want to install PS3 media player on any computer you have on your network, such as your desktop machine, so long as it has access to your media files (locally or via a share). All you do is point PS3 media server to where your media is located and it does the rest.

You can, of course, also just play media on your xbox off a USB device or a windows file share, but then its not as convenient an experience.

Hope this all makes sense. If not, feel free to ask. You could, of course, just use windows media player instead of PS3 media server for a simpler setup.

- Hans