[dba-Tech] AV+Firewall

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Sat Mar 30 07:09:39 CDT 2013

So it’s that time of year when my subscriptions are up for renewal

I’ve been using ZoneAlarm Firewall for ever, and Vipre Anti-Virus for over 5
years.

I’m more than happy with both products, but when I look at the renewal
deals, it’s going to cost me £70 for 1 year’s subscription to both, or I
could get the deals and go with the whole security suite from either
company, which would be cheaper. With Vipre, I can get the “PC Lifetime
Protection” deal for £70 or pay £50 for two years’ protection from
ZoneAlarm.

What I really want to know is:

How good is ZoneAlarm’s anti-virus product?

How good is Vipre’s Firewall product?

The other thing to take into account is that most of this computer is 5
years old already, but it’s running Windows 7 & Office 2013 with no
problems, so I don’t foresee a need to replace it any time soon, although I
have just bought a new Windows 8 laptop to play with

If anyone can point me at a good deal to do both AV and Firewall, and on
more than one computer, that would be brilliant. I thought I’d seen one for
Vipre for the lifetime of 10 PCs but I can’t find it now

Any suggestions?

Jon