[dba-Tech] Older is wiser

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon May 6 09:05:04 CDT 2013

 HI Gustav and Hans --

"I would be the last throwing a stone" - Yes.

"why on Earth did he do it that way" - Yes - quite a few of coding like that developed here especially when starting MS Access/VBA development - I have even used MS Access macros! :)

BTW I'm also often wondering about code, which I have written a long ago or just a few months ago, which is looking good and which has nothing to be ashamed of IMO: how it happened I have written something like that? is that my coding at all? - it's my coding for sure but nowadays I have to produce often the code so quickly to keep competitive that when I see rather well crafted code snippets in my code base I'm getting confused is that my coding or not...

I'd suppose that software development industry has got mature and most of the seasoned developers as we're have got years long experience, and most of colleges worldwide produce very well trained developers, and there exists so much good software literature, articles, code snippets.... - so the quality of code is nowadays mainly dependent on how much funding prospect customers are ready to invest into their software - the more funding and time - the better quality software they get, but because of a fierce competition and other economical factors the volume of funding and software projects time frames can't be unlimited - so we see quite a few of bad coding - developed for customers who can't afford the costs of high quality software (that costs include training, "past life" programming experience etc.) not only direct project costs...)...

Hans:
"Experience, apparently, does not make all programmers better." - yes, not all but it does make quite a few programmers better, the percent/ration of good programmers to the bad ones is much higher nowadays than in the past I suppose. But of course good solid high quality programming needs a "combination of talents" but that aren't something extraordinary IMO.

"Some people really aren't cut out for this business" - true but most of them get out of this business rather quickly, with just a small percent left working for big corporations where I suppose is easier to hide/survive producing crappy code :)

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Понедельник,  6 мая 2013, 13:42 +02:00 от "Gustav Brock" <gustav at cactus.dk>:
>Hi Hans
>
>You are right.
>
>However, I would be the last throwing a stone. Neither PHP nor JQuery is for
>me to judge.
>I just need to browse some of my old code - perhaps not for a big laugh but
>at least for wondering "why on Earth did he do it that way".
>
>/gustav

<<< skipped >>>