[dba-Tech] The latest Debian

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sun May 12 20:47:49 CDT 2013

Well, I think we've already seen proof of this in many areas. Open source has defeated everyone else in the server and super computer market. The most popular web servers are open source. The most popular software development languages are open source. The most popular web browsers are open source.

Saying that, I don't think something thats open source and popular means that its "better". After all, well... look at Android vs. iOS. ;)

In all honestly though, it really depends. The advantage of open source vs closed source is more pronounced when its a technology that is more relevant to geeks and businesses. Programming languages, operating systems, server technologies etc. As you move closer to the consumer space, it becomes a bit less relevant, as consumers do not have the same incentives as businesses do. And techies understand the value of software a bit better than regular users do and therefore are less inclined to pay for software or other technology at the same price that ordinary consumers do - often going about to build their own open source version of X technology rather than pay for it.

Best regards,
Hans-Christian Andersen