[dba-Tech] The latest Debian

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon May 13 18:08:26 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil,

The Linux kernel isn't based on Minix sources or any other source. Linus
Torvalds wrote Linux from scratch and, as it developed into an operating
system, he continued with it simply because there were no freely available
kernels that supported the 32bit architecture - which is what he wanted.

"*He *[Linus]* has stated that if either the GNU or 386BSD kernels were
available at the time, he likely would not have written his own*" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux ).

In fact, Linux was originally conceived by Linus to be a terminal emulator
and not an operating system.

"*In 1991, in Helsinki, Linus Torvalds began a project that later became
the Linux kernel. It was initially a terminal emulator, which Torvalds used
to access the large UNIX servers of the university. He wrote the program
specifically for the hardware he was using and independent of an operating
system because he wanted to use the functions of his new PC with an 80386
processor*" (same source as above)

In any event, Linux happens to be a lot more stable because it builds on
top of the original philosophies of Unix. Unix was simply just a better
conceived operating system than Windows was. The fact that Windows
succeeded and we have been living in an Windows dominated world until
recently has little to do with whether Windows is more stable or a better
platform, but has more to do with that Windows was designed to be
consumer-friendly compared to Unix (which wasn't at all consumer friendly
at the time), while also being cheaper than an Apple computer. It also
didn't help that all the different Unix vendors at the time were at war and
completely at odds about anything and everything - X Windows (the GUI)
included - and therefore were not focusing on the computer revolution,
because they didn't anticipate the moment when PCs would suddenly become
cheap enough that everyone would eventually have one in their homes.

That's not to say that Linux is perfect. In fact, I would argue that its
monolithic kernel is purely pragmatic but not ideal and can suffer from the
same flaws that Windows has of badly written drivers being able to crash
your machine. The approach of a microkernel architecture avoids this, but
it was not considered feasible at the time. But this effect is minimized by
the open source and transparent nature of the Linux project.

But, nevertheless, Linux and Unix machines in general are just more stable.
Take this as an example (Solaris Unix):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAUvfqLEWuA That server had an uptime of
3737 days before it was switched off... 10+ years. :)

- Hans