[dba-Tech] Webservers

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu May 16 11:02:51 CDT 2013

Hi Stuart:

It is not so much whether you need that level of performance or not, it is
that thread driven webservers are resource hungry old technology. It is at
the point now, with a new age webserver, that you could host from your
laptop or desktop, an implementation that would be impossible if it were not
for event driven webservers.

Of course if you are planning on working with the new Cloud, a new age
webserver is the technology required. Even if you are not planning on
porting a virtual server to the cloud, anytime soon, your client's server
can use any help it can get.

On my client's servers, they host their database(s), manage the network
traffic (firewalls, logging etc), some have mail servers, their own
websites, have remote workers, their desktops applications are being hosted
off their webserver, their 'home' directories are on the server, some have
setup streaming or VoIP, for video conferencing or just that staff are
streaming music to their stations, some workers try to use FB and Twitter
(usually banned and for good reason) and then there is incremental backups.

When it comes saving resources every little bit helps, especially if your
server is older and does not sport more than 16GB of RAM and everything is
done on a shoe-string budget.

(Note: that a Linux server is less resource hungry and the only event driven
webservers, that I know of, run on Linux boxes by default.)

So it is not that a client will be having 6000 hits per minute but that, if
the client, is hosting their own, to save money, resources are at a premium
and every saving helps.