[dba-Tech] Windows 8: Not!

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri May 24 14:56:42 CDT 2013

I have yet to encounter a single person who likes the WIn8 interface. Not
on, in my admiddedly small number of participants (~200), Not one single
person prefers this; I am getting one-hour gigs to please roll this back to
WIndows 7, which I can understand. This Win8 shyte may be fine for newbies
but anyone acquainted with the old school feels alone and isolated, and
suddenly I have a new (albeit very short) customer relationship which
involves nuking Windows 8 and replacing it with Windows 7.

I can't conceive of a worse scenario for an OS than this So far as I can
see, not one single person in the universe (outside of Redmond) considers
this an advance. Already I have had 20+ clients begging me to roll back
Win8 to something they can understand. Overall conclusion: Win8 was a very
very bad idea and those responsible for its deployment should be lined up
against a wall and summarily executed. Why on on earth did these people
think this was a Good Thing? Where were their minds on that day? This is
the most asinine interface ever developed. Bigger buttons = Cool? WTF were
these people thinking?

Maybe for the 1% who just got into computing, this might seem coo. But for
the other 99% who already own at least one computer and probably several
more, this new interface is an advance into stupidity. It is Wrong, wrong,
wrong, But on the up-side, I've suddenly got an unexpected revenue stream
involving un-installing Win8 and replacing it with the far more
intelligible Win7. At this writing, I'm at 38 clients who have requested
this retrofit. By the end of the month, I expect this to hit 50 -- which is
insignificant in the big MS picture, I realize, but in my local tiny pond,
it matters a lot, and not one single frog in said pond is happy with
Windows8. And that's not my fault. I had no part to play in their
decisions. They bought new hardware and hated the OS and asked me to bail
them out. So I rolled them back to Win7 and they are once again happy
campers. And so am I, a) because they are happy; b) because I hate Win8 and
even more, hate trying to fix problems with it; and c) more and more of my
clients are moving (at my insistence) to Linux, specifically Mint but any
other version will suffice. I'm running out of gas trying to support
anything on Windows. It is simply too complicated for an old-timer such as
myself. Way easier to support Linux apps!

--
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr