[dba-Tech] Quite a few news to notice & bookmark from AWS re:Invent and related...

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 14 12:57:46 CST 2013

...Very interesting.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Salakhetdinov Shamil" <mcp2004 at mail.ru>
To: "Discussion of Hardware and Software issues" <dba-tech at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:08:01 AM
Subject: [dba-Tech] Quite a few news to notice & bookmark from AWS re:Invent and related...

Hi All --

FYU:

Amazon DynamoDB Serves Trillions Of Requests Per Month While Counterpart SimpleDB Is No Longer A Listed Product On AWS
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/12/amazon-dynamodb-serves-trillions-of-requests-per-month-while-counterpart-simpledb-is-no-longer-a-listed-product-on-aws/

...It looks like DynamoDB and PrestoDB in that they are both standard SQL Relation databases but unlike the older server based databases are distributive. On another note; could it be possible to take any SQL database, talking theoretical here and incorporate it with a layer like Hadoop Distributed File System ( HDFS ) and extend its capability?

Here is an interesting discussion...
http://slashdot.org/topic/bi/why-my-team-went-with-dynamodb-over-mongodb

Amazon Launches WorkSpaces, A Virtual Desktop Service On AWS
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/13/amazon-launches-workspaces-a-virtual-desktop-service-on-aws/
" The virtual desktop itself is essentially a reskinned version of Windows Server that is made to look like Windows 7."

...The prices can not be argued:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/13/amazon-launches-workspaces-a-virtual-desktop-service-on-aws/costcomparison

That is a wonderful concept. In Linux "reskinning" is just called using another distro. Many distros just "reskin" a linux environment like the Debian server...when the apps are leading-bleeding edge material, it can be used as a desktop or using a more conservative approach it produces a server. I wonder if the Hyper-V server could be "reskinned" with Amazon's Windows 7 distro?

Jeff Bezos Believes AWS Could Be Amazon’s Biggest Business
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/13/jeff-bezos-believes-aws-could-be-amazons-biggest-business/

Short Shorts And Long Buses: Amazon Cloud Competitors Look A Bit Foolish At AWS Conference http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/13/short-shorts-and-long-buses-amazon-cloud-competitors-look-a-bit-foolish-at-aws-conference/

The Cloud Washers Will Lose
http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/15/the-cloud-washers-will-lose/

...A very interesting video on how a mashup of applications that incorporates Amazon AWS are being used. The OSS BOSH agent seems worthy of further investigation:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.com/docs/using/terms.html

There are a lot more on TechCrunch....

...In summary, it looks like Amazon have definitely taken the lead in providing effective Cloud services. Here we have excellent, though a little pricey, access to virtually unlimited bandwidth but not all areas are adequately serviced, in fact most areas are not so I believe that a client must have a combination of local and remote access to their data. Is there a definitive answer?...I have no idea.

What is your opinions on the direction that tech should move towards?

Салахетдинов Шамиль