[dba-Tech] Google’s Cerf Says “Privacy May Be An Anomaly”.

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Nov 22 08:59:36 CST 2013

It's interesting to me that the presumption of a right to privacy in the
U.S. stems from the assurances of the Fourth Amendment, to be secure
from unreasonable search and seizure, combined with the assurances of
the Ninth Amendment that rights that haven't been enumerated still exist
and are retained by the States and the People themselves.

Although the right to privacy wasn't supported by documentation until
the Supreme Court 1967 decision, the families I knew while growing up
all presumed they had the right to keep certain information to
themselves.  The concept that some things were nobody else's business is
not a new concept.  However, I would point out that the American culture
wasn't all that clear about its attitudes, as demonstrated by laws on
the books that regulated what persons could and couldn't do within their
own bedrooms.  So, while I believe we have long had a sense of ownership
and choice concerning what we reveal to others, we haven't been
even-handed in our attitude when it came to prying into the affairs of
others.

To paraphrase an old saying, it's not so much that we opposed ox-goring
as that we opposed having our own ox gored.

Best to you,
TNF

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com