[dba-Tech] FYI: ASP.NET 4.5.1 App Suspend – responsive shared .NET web hosting

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Nov 27 16:34:55 CST 2013

 HI Jim --

I have no practical experience of using this feature - I have just got information about it today.

From this feature description:

" Suspended sites effectively lose access to the CPU, making CPU cycles and most of the memory they were using available for requests to other sites. "

and

" The addition of the suspended state, which is a very low-memory state, enables ASP.NET to host many more sites on a given machine."

So, I'd guess if your friend has currently 20 successfully running DNN installations then they could have 30 or more with the subject feature enabled, assuming DNN sites aren't frequently used IOW some of them will be in active state and others will be in suspended state.

In my above answer I assumed that "20 DNN installations" are independent ones IOW they are independent ASP.NET applications.
But as far as I know DNN allows to run several (as many as one wanted) web sites (portals) using just one DNN setup - if that is the case for your friend setup then the subject feature wouldn't be of that much help...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

--
Салахетдинов Шамиль