[dba-Tech] Node.js vs Java

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 29 18:44:42 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

I have done some preliminary testing with Node.js but because it was just testing there is no way to tell whether it is faster...it is nearly all instantaneous.

According to what I have read, Node is designed to handle events very well but must hand off processing intensive work quickly...as it is not in its design...it could even lock up. That is where a good BE SQL DB comes in. Node is supposed to scale out very well. Some tests shows that Node, on a single server, can handle up to 30K hits per second...seems quick enough for most environments. Web servers like IIS and Apache eat up threads far faster and run out of RAM, on the same system at 10K/sec. That is my understanding.

The article is very good and the writer's understanding of how Node interacts within his comfort zone seems as good as could be expected. With anything web, asynchronised communications must be assumed...his concerns about this seemed odd. I think that ASP.Net and Node.js embraced two very different concepts and it like comparing apples and bean sprouts.

I would like to have access to a fully operation Node.js server with ASP.Net (web) clients, under load and then be able to make some real judgement calls.