[dba-Tech] ultimate win 8 nightmare

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Oct 9 03:06:34 CDT 2013

Hi Peter

Not nice. I haven't ever had this need so I'm not familiar with the behavior
of the process, but I can see that the message screen is very "Windows 8
centric" and should be taken very literally:

- Your files and personalization settings won't change.
That probably excludes everything outside the Users folder. Thus, files
elsewhere may be expected to be removed.
Problem is the understanding of "yours" which clearly is different from that
of a normal user.
- Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
- Apps from Windows Store will be kept.
- Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed.
This is quite clear but it is bad communication to put this important
statement right after a positive statement without emphasis.
- A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.
Did you find such list? Not that it will help a lot but it will confirm the
happenings.

Refresh should be different from Reset, which is a factory reset, by leaving
Users and Apps from Windows Store.

You could try one of the tools for recovering files to unerase the data
files.
The "Apps you installed from discs or websites" I'm sure you will have to
reinstall.

/gustav