[dba-Tech] Windows 8 update to 8.1

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 10:57:02 CDT 2013

I vaguely recall reading that the update is in a day or two, can't remember
the precise date. My question is: will this happen automatically or must I
do something specific to make this update happen? Anyone know?

I just got my shiny laptop back from the Dell Repair Service and its failed
hard disk has been replaced, and for the next couple of days I'll be busy
installing all the software I count on.

Before I embark on that path, I want to create a disk image of this virgin
OS, and either burn it to DVD or copy it to External Drive Numero Uno,
which has plenty of space. So any Win8 user who knows how to do this is
invited to tell me how. All the tiles are confusing. And I can't remember
how to do much of anything, but most important, I can't remember how to
invoke the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

Immediate responses are not required. I shall stumble along and discover
little by little this new vision of Windows. I have some docs to read. But
back to the original topic: allegedly there's a Win 8.1 update due
imminently. My spanky laptop has Win8 as the basic OS, so do I just sit
back and wait for the update, or do I have to do something(s)  to effect
this change.

--
Arthur