[dba-Tech] Chip terminology

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 06:14:07 CDT 2013

Jim,

This laptop was purchased in February and as I said, Belarc reports 2 cores
and 4 threads. I wonder how the two varieties compare in speed. Not that
I'm complaining. I've never had a computer that even comes close to the
performance of this baby. 8 gigs of RAM + 1 tera of hard disk and USB 3.0,
and it's a laptop! Besides that, I got a great deal -- $550.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Arthur:
>
> "...From what I can tell, i5 CPUs are those which have 4 threads. This
> means they are either 4 cores without SMT (1 thread per core) or dual cores
> with SMT (2 threads per core). Currently, the i5-750 is the only i5
> available, and it is a quad core without SMT.
> "
>
> Jim

Arthur