[dba-Tech] Windows 8.1

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 19 13:59:59 CDT 2013

Hi Gustav and all:

Here is an interesting set of figures about the current adoption rate of Windows8.x. There are no comments on the high-lights or short-comings of any product but it shows where the current market is now sitting. Of course some observations can be taken from the article and graph.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/18/windows8_adoption_versus_7/

Windows XP still is very dominant in market place but Windows 7 appears to be the heir apparent. Whether people will move on mass to Windows8.x is still a big question...so far the enthusiasm is less than stellar with only about a 8-9 percent adoption level compared to Win7's approximate 46 percent adoption. Some of the interesting figures shows Vista still lingering. Then there are the "Others" in the chart most likely Linux which until recently was ahead of Win8.x versions...considering that Linux has, until now a very limited access to user environment, little corporate user support and a zero advertising budget that is quite an accomplishment.

What the future will bring for the Windows 8 product is still up in the air and whether it can turn around its fortunes is still up for debate. My bet is that Windows 7 will seize most of the corporate desktop/laptop market, say at about 50 percent, XP will linger on with about 10, equal to Win8 and the rest of the market will be filled with Linux and Macs.

What are your predictions?