[dba-Tech] Chip terminology

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:12:06 CDT 2013

Rock (that's your new nickname, upon which I have bestowed you: the Rock is
much more handsome than Rocky Balboa.) And besides, my fave bass player is
not Mingus but rather Dave Holland. And there was this other guy, whose
name I forget, and most of my albums are in storage so it would be a chore
to look him up, but he was a black guy and he played electric bass ala Jimi
Hendrix, almost like a Strat but in the bass register, With more than a
little Funkadelic thrown in. Dammitol (I'm filing for a copyright on that
name for an Alzheimer's remedy). I would assume that you know the person to
whom I refer, given your penchant for the lower tones.

Might I ask, Rock, are you also into cello? My fave cellist is/was
Jacqueline du Pre, whom I have often cited as the Jimi Hendrix of cello.
Her version of Beethoven's cello sonata Op. 69 No. 3 in A, accompanied by
Stephen Bishop on piano, is the definitive version of said piece. Later on,
when she fell in love with Danny Barenboim and they recorded the same
piece, it fell very far short of her initial recording of same.

Which, I suppose, summarizes my take on music. I have about 20 recordings
of Beethoven's cello sonatas, and about the same number of Igor's The Rite
of Spring. And in both cases, I can cite which one is the best, currently
-- who knows what next week will reveal? I thought that I had the
definitive version of the Bach Chaconne (from violin partita No. 2 in A),
but then along comes this Korean girl who blew the doors off every previous
recording. And then along comes Nicola Hall, a guitarist, who blew away
every previous recording of Casal's transcription for guitar.

I live and die for music of this quality. But lest you think I'm a
classical snob, let me also assert that I have some other faves, in
different genres:

The Clash: London Calling and Sandanista
Talking Heads: Remain in Light
David Bowie: basically, everything
The Ramones: basically, everything
Bob Dylan: everything, but IMO the stellar achievement is "Visions of
Johanna", which I deem the finest song written in the 20th century.
Leonard Cohen: Yes he's Canadian and so am I but I seriously doubt that
that measures into this vote. Just listen to his words and appreciate their
concision. There's no finer songwriter on the planet.

Arthur