[dba-Tech] Apple Just Ended the Era of Paid Operating Systems

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Oct 25 00:47:04 CDT 2013

Well, technically Apple started down this path with iOS a while back, but I think they realized it made sense to do it for the desktop. If you make your users pay for the OS on your machine, then you get fewer users updating to the latest software, which then becomes a pain for software developers and the architects of OS X. It makes sense for their business model and it makes sense in this internet age, where most things come through to us via a browser. The importance of the OS has become very secondary. It's just a user interface to launching a browser :)

However, I kinda remember hearing a while back that Apple was forced to charge a small amount for iOS updates previously to avoid legal problems. Perhaps anti-trust issues or maybe patent laws or something like that. Maybe they've figured a way around that. I don't know for certain that this was the case though.

- Hans