[dba-Tech] Printing from DOS to a networked Windows printer

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 29 09:49:53 CDT 2013

Hi Gustav:

This is an ancient Informix application from one of the very few clients I still support. Probably because there is not another person who still knows how to supports it. The core base is over twenty years old but it does absolutely everything their company needs...full accounting, inventory, invoicing, staffing and all the business and government reports etc etc. To replace it would cost the client's in the neighbourhood of fifty to a hundred K, minimum.

I would love to change it but it works and it is very fast. If they would give me 50K to start with and in a year they would have their old application replaced with a nice shiny new, super fast, fully portable web intranet system that runs on every platform... I have all the components picked out and ready to go; just waiting on their approval...but in the meantime...

Are you still supporting that fine young lawyer? ;-)

I am surprised at just how many ancient systems are out there. An old fellow could make a very good living just supporting these old relics. ;-)