[dba-Tech] A new Microsoft

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 17 16:02:20 CDT 2014

That is excellent.

But note that the praises of Microsoft is for their williness and signed agreement to comply with the restriction and structure put forth by the EU. The main corner post in this agreement is that Azure cloud computing will respect individual national security. Does this mean that Cloud information will remain within regional servers and not be disseminated through out Microsoft's world server system or does it mean that all the information will have high levels of encryption while within their systems?

It should be noted that the Azure infrastructure sits on top of various open applications and therefore will be no more inherently secure than any other Cloud cluster. Maybe Microsoft's front end, which is totally proprietary is more secure than their competitors. I have read no indication that is the case but I am always willing to be pleasantly surprised.

In summary; whether this rating if from a williness to comply with the Safe Harbor Agreement with the U.S. or from Microsoft's superior security, is the question. I suspect the former and find the latter very unlikely.

It should also be noted, that if Microsoft is ordered by the NSA to release all information all previous agreement would be null and void and even a public acknowledgment of compliance would be illegal. This of course asks the question, so how secure is your information with any company based out of the US?