[dba-Tech] Powershel script help

John Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Fri Apr 25 10:57:11 CDT 2014

Hi Paul,
That was exactly the problem.
Thanks!
John B
-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Paul Hartland
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:47 PM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Powershel script help

John,

Was intrigued by powershell a while back but never done anything with it so
I am probably wrong here or you may of already tried.  You say that if you
replace the $remaining with 272 it works, have you tried converting the
$remaining to an int before the If ($remaining -gt 45) like below

$xml = [xml](get-content C:\ProgramData\VIPRE\RegistrationConfig.xml)
#C:\Programdata\GFI Software\Antimalware\RegistrationConfig.xml
     $remaining = $xml.RegistrationConfig.DaysRemaining   #days until
expiration - currently evaluates to 272
     $expires = $xml.RegistrationConfig.ExpireDate   #date of expiration

     $remainingint = $remaining -as [int]

    If ($remainingint -gt 45)

It may not work as only had a quick look and had to refresh my memory with
the help of good old google, but may be worth a try.

Paul

On 25 April 2014 02:08, John Bartow <jbartow at winhaven.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Any ideas as to why this doesn't work? If I replace:
> "$remaining = $xml.RegistrationConfig.DaysRemaining "
> With $remaining = 272
> Then it works correctly. Otherwise it works inversely in regards to
> the -gt operator.
>
> Code -------------------------------------------------
> #  Display Vipre license expiration date #  Runs on Windows 7 Try {
>      $xml = [xml](get-content
> C:\ProgramData\VIPRE\RegistrationConfig.xml)
> #C:\Programdata\GFI Software\Antimalware\RegistrationConfig.xml
>      $remaining = $xml.RegistrationConfig.DaysRemaining   #days until
> expiration - currently evaluates to 272
>      $expires = $xml.RegistrationConfig.ExpireDate   #date of expiration
>
>     If ($remaining -gt 45)
>             {
>         Write-Host "Vipre License expires in" $remaining "days on"
>         "{0:dd/MM/yyyy}" -f [datetime]$expires
>         Write-Host "Successfully passed"
>         exit 0
>         }
>     else
>         {
>         Write-Host "Vipre License expires in" $remaining "days on"
>         "{0:dd/MM/yyyy}" -f [datetime]$expires
>         Write-Host "Vipre License is Expiring Soon!"
>         exit 1001
>         }
>     }
> Catch {