[dba-Tech] XP replacement?

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 05:40:29 CST 2014

Hello Rocky

good point about the music.

I spoke to the kids orthodontist recently and mentioned to her that I had
been working hard and enjoying my work for 25 years writing software.
However, most of my work is no longer in use.  I am not really sure if it
ever makes anyone else's life better.  She on the other hand changes
peoples lives within six months and those changes last a lifetime.

I still love my work, but it is a good thing because otherwise we could
become disillusioned.

It is particularly because of this trend, for technology to constantly
change and become out of date that I do not believe in being on the
bleeding edge.  I am happy to work on what is a few years old, and then try
to get 4 - 8 years from that technology.  It reduces the burden of learning
new stuff every 18 months.

I know of a lady in Dublin that is doing Access development since the
90's.  She never switched to VB, web, SQL Server etc.  She happily develops
app in Access.  I believe that she is quite wealthy doing the same ol' same
ol' for the last twenty years.  No learning curve ever, and the work she
does is so easy.  Interesting business model.

Have you posted any of your music for us to listen to ?

Mark