[dba-Tech] HDMI cable quality

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Feb 8 13:46:05 CST 2014

http://www.mediacollege.com/hardware/connectivity/hdmi/premium-cable.html

HTH

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Arthur Fuller
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 11:26 AM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: [dba-Tech] HDMI cable quality

My fave local vendor sells two varieties of 25' HDMI cables. I need one of
these, so I won't have to move my laptop from its comfortable position on my
desk. One HDMI cable is $17.99 and the other so-called Premium HDMI cable
costs almost twice that. What would I be obtaining for taking the
extra-expenseive route?

As the crow flies, the distance is more than 2 meters but substantially less
than 10 meters. The former, while cheaper, involves decoupling a bunch of
USB stuff and then moving the laptop closer to the TV. The latter involves
DuckTaping the cable to the baseboards so no one can trip on it -- a
preferred solution, but that still leaves the other dilemma. What is meant
by "Premium HDMI cable"? Gold sockets? Something else? Should I choose
low-budget HDMI 25' cable or the higher-priced and allegedly "premium"
cable?

I've also read various brochures about HDMI spliters. My two HDMI
requirements are a Blu-ray player and my net connection to NetFlix. Is this
config what a splitter is for? And if so, how do I distinguish the two
sources? Frankly I'm ok with swapping the inputs, depending on whether I
want to watch a DVD or a stream from NetFlix, but all this is so confusing
to an old man who once lived on the bleeding edge but now feels so far
behind the edge that I have no idea what I'm doing.

--
Arthur