[dba-Tech] A new smartphone OS

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 13 10:41:26 CST 2014

It seems like a new smartphone OS has hit the market, called Sailfish.

Supposedly, it can run on all phones (I will believe that when I see it) and supports all Android apps. The OS runs on all platforms as well so apps can be easily designed for it.

https://sailfishos.org/index.html

Right now there is only one phone that is running with the Sailfish OS but if you have an old Smartphone, can not update it any more, are planning on trading up and have no idea what to do with the old beater then maybe this new OS might breathe new life into it. To me it looks a little bit like the OS on the Windows phones.

The one phone that does run the OS, right out of the box, is called the Jolla...though it is inexpensive it is not cheap.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/jolla/4505-6452_7-35823733.html