[dba-Tech] If I was the leader of Microsoft

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 16 21:13:44 CST 2014

Hi All:

If I could run Microsoft as a dictator what would I do to save it. I am sure many will say, who cares but the truth is that a market with many competitors is the best market.

MS is blaming every other company for their disappearing effectiveness in the PC market but it is not Google or is it Apple. Their main competitor is themselves. Their old operating systems are over 80 percent of the market, a market which just costs money to support but if they bail on this segment, Microsoft will become known as just a virus filled landscape. How can Microsoft support that languishing huge group on just ten percent of the new PCs, through sales of Windows8.x? Microsoft is truly caught.

My idea would be embed the old operating systems into Windows 8.x (just like XP has NTVDM built in so to support old DOS applications) and have a simple process to port an old operating systems into the new Windows. Expensive or difficult?...not really after all the old versions of Windows are already built and paid for. Once a person has migrated their old system they could slowly divest themselves of the old and start taking advantage of the new. Within a few years reliance on the old environments would fade and there would be a whole new population of users on the new Windows...and that would be good for everybody.

Why not give users a free operating system and provide free upgrades as long as they own the initial computer. After all the main profits of Microsoft are from the Offices products. The longer a user stays with an OS the more products they are likely to buy.

If Microsoft wants to still remain a major player in the PC world they attitudes has to change.