[dba-Tech] TechCrunch: Intel’s Vision: Wearables Everywhere In A Post-Windows World

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Jan 8 14:28:24 CST 2014

 HI Jim --

<<< Linux has taken a long time to even be accepted on the desktop...most likely because of its techy functionality and interface and its absolutely zero advertising budget. Will it ever become main stream desktop;...that is an interesting question.>>>
Have you seen that announcement?:

"Intel at CES 2014: dual-boot Windows and Android PCs, Steam Machine support"
http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/07/intel-at-ces-2014-dual-boot-windows-and-android-pcs-steam-machine-support/

"Instantly-switchable by pressing a button" dual-boot PCs for Windows and "pure" Linux will probably follow....

-- Shamil

Wednesday, January  8, 2014 12:28 PM -07:00 from Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>That is a good article...lots of research.
>
>Linux has taken a long time to even be accepted on the desktop...most likely because of its techy functionality and interface and its absolutely zero advertising budget. Will it ever become main stream desktop;...that is an interesting question. OTOH, as far as every other mobile and server environment its dominance is in the eighty percentile plus.
>
>I do think Cloud based applications and their use, in areas where good and stable communications exist will be the be the new center, at least the pundits thinks so. With Microsoft's Azure Cloud (based off development work through OpenSuse), it is one of the few (only?) Cloud based engines that is not pure Linux.
>
>When I am stating Linux is predominant, it is not just that it is base for virtually all Clouds, major company and enterprise servers, smartphone and other cheap mobile devices but that all intelligence being added to the miscellaneous devices like electronics, house-hold appliances, car based systems and industrial controls and so on, are apparently almost exclusive to Linux.
>
>Back to the PC desktop; it does seem the Windows desktop and mobile is bending to public opinion and I am happy to see this change:
>
><quote>
>Mary Jo Foley reported on ZDNet that inside sources told her two Threshhold flavours would return to a more "traditional" desktop look and feel, with a third version resembling Windows RT -- presumably for tablets. Paul Thurrott chimed in with his own inside dope that not only would the Start menu return, but also Metro apps would be able to run on the Windows desktop. (I can't resist noting that InfoWorld suggested similar changes with our Windows Red proposal seven months ago.)
></quote>
>
>All I can say is, "It is about time."
>
>Jim

Салахетдинов Шамиль