[dba-Tech] No more MSE for Windows XP

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 11:01:16 CST 2014

On 2014-01-13 12:49 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Gustav:
>
> It seems that companies that are small and businesses that are big (like banks) are holding on to their XP. Small businesses are too poor and big businesses are to cautious to move. Only the middle tier companies have been making moves.
>
> If there was a easy migration path to any OS that would be the way most would go.
>
> In summary, many hate the new Windows, are scared stiff of Linux and feel Apple is just an over-priced status symbol. What I see is that the market is diversifying. Those staying with Windows are going as far as Windows 7, those that are technically inclined are moving to a safe Linux like Ubuntu, those that can afford it are buying Macs and a many are seriously trying web base their businesses. Of course that still does not answer the question, what platform a web centric business will use.
>
> Not working day to day in various business leaves me a little out of the loop. All those I know personally, who are developers, have moved to Apples but are using Linux servers for web work. Those doing hard coding are building application on Linux platforms using C and Java.
>
> How the average joe-public is handling this I have no idea but I sense some confusion. If any person ask me for help, you know what my answer will be.

30% of PC users are using XP. Why not? It's solid, they don't need a
bleeding edge OS, and they're evidently not obsessed with novelty.
Microsoft & PC Makers are making no money on these worthies, so are
trying to frighten them into upgrading to 8.1. Standard business
behavioiur in the United States of Hype. Ignore the propaganda.

PB