[dba-Tech] No more MSE for Windows XP

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jan 15 02:35:00 CST 2014

Hi all

Thanks for the input. Here is an update.

I decided for Bitdefender Free which comes close to MSE being ultra-simple to install and maintain. Actually, it is even simpler than MSE which says a lot.

I couldn't find a NOD32 Free, so first I tried Avast Free which seems to work fine but the user interface is way too much. Also, like Oracle and Java, it tries to install Google toolbar and Chrome which gives me the creep.
Then I tried Malwarebyte Free but the free version has no automatic update of definitions nor scans.
I also tried AVG Free but that is monster install and, again, with an overwhelming UI.

So for these XP Mode VMs of ours - all workstations run Win 7 or 8.1 - with close to zero browser use, Bitdefender with its sheer simplicity fits perfectly.

/gustav